Director of Business Development – New and Emerging Ventures, Atlanta
We are expanding into new geographies, new product lines and new distribution channels for our cannabis products. We are seeking to hire a Director of Business Development, New & Emerging Ventures to help us build our portfolio outside of our Surterra Wellness brand. We are seeking an experienced business development professional with direct experience identifying potential partnerships, minority investment opportunities and potential acquisitions to help us grow inorganically.
This position will direct, establish and maintain the overall goals and policies for the business development function. This includes cultivating and maintaining external relationships with relevant external partners, deal sourcing, due-diligence, negotiating and structuring, and executing transactions (e.g. acquisition, joint venture, minority investment and affiliations) and all segments of the deal life cycle. This position will be responsible for building and cultivating strong relationships across all corporate functions.
This role reports to the President, New and Emerging Ventures and is critical leadership role in building new businesses within Surterra. The New Ventures team offers a serious intellectual challenge, a high caliber peer group, and fast paced environment. The role will have a high degree of visibility and exposure to the Surterra Executive Leadership Team.
CORE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify possible partners in the cultivation and processing of cannabis. Initial focus in California that will likely expand to other markets.
- Determine best approach to developing our California supply chain including cultivation, processing/manufacturing, and distribution (buy, build, partner, or a combination of approaches).
- Begin building out our network of agricultural Hemp suppliers in the US and internationally.
- Facilitate negotiations and contracting with supply and retail partners as well as brand licensing partners.
- Recommend approaches and gain alignment of the Surterra Executive team, and when necessary, the Surterra Board of Directors.
- Lead financial modeling of key business opportunities.
- Evaluate brands, products and companies for potential acquisition by Surterra, in partnership with the Corporate Development team.
- Produce strategic partnership reviews for the executive team and board presentations.
- Develop plans for integration of acquired businesses and execution of licensing and partnership agreements as needed.
- Build effective networks in the cannabis space to constantly identify innovation in the marketplace and opportunities for Surterra to partner with and/or acquire innovative players in the space.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Understanding of the unique laws and regulations that govern the cannabis industry on the federal, state and local levels.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a business development role, preferably in healthcare, consumer packaged goods or related industry.
- Experience leading a high performing business development team.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, life sciences or related field required. MBA or JD preferred.
- Superior self-motivation and ability to motivate others.
- Ability to focus simultaneously on short- and long-term goals and ability to identify, surface and creatively solve problems quickly.
- Ability to apply the 80/20 rule and good business judgement to make recommendations with incomplete information.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing, and challenging environment.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Strong logical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to learn quickly.
- Strong math skills and the ability to understand the economic drivers behind various potential deals.
- Ability to use Excel effectively to build economic models.
- Ability to teach and train others in business concepts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in PowerPoint and Word with the ability to craft key messages, clear presentations with well-presented supporting data and analysis.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- The person must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time, could increase over time.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- The person in this position frequently communicates with other employees/customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Surterra provides medical, dental, vision, life, short and long-term disability benefits to its employees
- Surterra offers a 401(k) plan and employee stock purchase plan
- Surterra provides paid time off. 9 holidays plus vacation
- Surterra prefers its employees to stay home when sick; therefore, the Company offers paid sick days each year
- Surterra offers a great place to work that puts employees and its patients first. The work environment is geared to focus on the employees and their comfort, productivity, and enjoyment while they are at work.
Apply directly: https://surterra.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=98